Saturday, November 14, 2009

Corrrtacacaaaaaa

Today is the most popular holiday celebrated at Suny Cortland. It’s the big game, Cortland vs Ithaca.. That is why I have started to write this so late, because I was so busy celebrating for the game. Unfortunately Cortland lost and it was a close game, it was intense, and I could feel the pressure the football players had, with screaming fans praying that they will make the first down. One side of the stadium bled the color red, with the opposite side was filled by a dull blue and a yellow that didn’t shine quite as bright as the sun. But no matter what, as Cortland always says “win or lose we still booze,” and that is exactly what the entire school intends on doing. No matter the time, no matter the score, we will still have a good time and that’s what I love about Cortland. The school spirit in this town is amazing and I enjoy every minute of helping keep the school spirit level at its all time high. Cortaca is so ridiculous, and when I tell my friends what I’m doing for the day they always repeat themselves and ask again, what Im doing for the day. Then I tell them the true definition of what Cortaca is and they love the entire concept. That is why tons of my friends always try and visit during this insanely crazy weekend. I honestly might say that I Love this holiday more than Christmas and I’m so extremely excited to be a part of this celebration. Sadly we did lose but like I said we still get to booze, because nothing can break Cortland’s sprit or pride no matter the number of points on the score board. Thank god I am a part of a school full of pride and respect for each other.

3 comments:

  1. As much as Christmas! Haha, I know what you mean though. Even friends who have never came to visit will call me or text me on the day of Cortaca and tell me they hope I survive till the next day. As for the community and school coming together for the event it is crazy! This past Cortaca I was celebrating on a lawn on Tompkins, and even people from the town of cortland, excuse my term... Townies were out and about. One very special Townie decided to come and hang out with us all on the lawn. He was a bit drunk... But his story will live on in my head forever. He aproached me and my friends, and said hello. He told us that he was 29 and he LOVES Cortaca. He continued to tell us that he has two children who he left at home, and that his wife is MAADD cool. She lets him go to Cortaca every year, it was his 7th. As he kept drinking he started saying weirder and weirder things... he told my friend that he had AIDS... and that it wasnt contageous. He also danced for us for a while. I got a good laugh out of him... Only in Cortland, only on Cortaca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortaca is really the greatest time and most eventful part of being a Cortland student. This year I was sick so I had to go home the week of Cortaca but I made it back just in time to pregrame before the game , go to the game, and celebrate after. I had so much fun and I can't wait for every other Cortaca until I graduate. Sadly that will only be two more though =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you call it a holiday in Cortland. haha I think many students here would agree with you. It is such a fun weekend and sounds like you had a very interesting one. I love Cortaca weekend even more personally because my birthday falls on that weekend. This year it was on thursday. It is a great way to celebrate my birthday throughout the weekend and always makes for a good time.

    ReplyDelete