Saturday, November 7, 2009

Food

I recently had some sort of epiphany. I've been on and off diets trying to keep a toned body, but I realized this past weekend (after being home and around my Italian grandma), I love food. Why diet when there's exercise to keep you in shape. I'm pretty busy with school and everything but there is always time to go to the gym, at least an hour or more everyday. So why can't I just eat whatever I want to, as much as I want to and still stay in shape? I guess I can, and it's not really as hard as I thought. As long as I choose the right foods and not go completely overboard, I should be fine. I mean, when I first came to Cortland, I was chowing down on every carb known to man at Neubig, at the grill getting an All American Burger, or a buffalo chicken wedge from Racquet, and basically every night you would see my at Friendlys. I began to substitute all of those delicious meals with salads and water. Now I LOVE soda, and ice cream and that buffalo chicken sandwich is my weakness, but if I went to the gym I wouldn't have to completely get rid of those foods and I can have them on occasion. I mean why get rid of things you love in your life when there are other options. My moms side of the family is Italian and that’s definitely where I got my love for food, I can cook pretty decently when I try, so why throw out my food loving heritage and my skills for cooking because I’m scared I’ll gain weight? Screw it, I would rather have a toned and athletic body and be able to eat what I want then be skinny and fragile and eat lettuce for lunch and dinner. I love chocolate, I love pizza, I LOVE mashed potatoes and I LOVE mac and cheese. They are probably some of the worst’s foods for you, but I still love them… so I refuse to forget about them completely. I’m going to be smarter with what I eat, and if I can’t make it to the gym one day, maybe that will be the day where I have salad for lunch rather then a pasta bake. Smart and healthy decisions will lead you down a smart and healthy path.

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I love food as well and also come from an italian family. Food is definitley the focus alot of the time. My ex used to tell me that my family did not think that the party was a good one unless the food was good and he was right. I finally figured out that exercise is the key to staying fit and trim. I lost twenty pounds when I worked out daily and still ate what I wanted to but in moderation. The only problem is that you need alot of motivation to exercise daily. I have slacked on the exercise and luckily have not gained any of the weight back. Whenever I tried to watch what I ate with no exercise I got nowhere but irritated because I was not eating the great tasting food. Why is it sooo hard to stay fit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the "buffalo chicken sandwich" part I had to post a reply because that's my favorite sub on campus, haha. I agree with you though. It's way too hard to completely cut out all the yummy foods just to keep from gaining weight. I personally love going to Friendly's every now and then or getting greasy pizza on the weekends. With some exercise in your schedule, it shouldn't matter so much. Like you said, as long as you're not always eating like that.. who cares. I don't think it's good to obsess anyhow... about food or exercise. Do whatever makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not italian but i love to eat! I think its a huge part of being american. I just thought that i would let you know that dieting does not work. AFter a person thinks they're healthy enough or has lost the pounds and goes off the diet they will gain their weight back plus more. Also if you obessess over this idea you will more than likely develop an eating disorder that will become addictive.I recommend that you keep eating healthy, porportion your food, and exercise. If you are doing well (of the above) then every week or two reward yourself with a food with more calories just remember to exercise that day too. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont think you should worry about what you are eating so much right now. Everyone knows when you get to college you gain weight, but thats only becuase the food is so high in fat and most people tend to stop playing sports so they have no exercise. I think if you keep working out and just watch your weight it will be fine. We are all young and our metabolism is still goign somewhat strong, i think once it slows down we should start watching what we are eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's not about how much you eat, but what exactly you are eating and how much you exercise. There are a lot of eating choices on campus, and there are always healthy options. I have found that if you eat smart and exercise enough, it's not a big deal if you go back for that second helping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha you have such a way with words. i think its important to balance your food intake and your exercise. its obviously better to eat healthier no matter whether youre going to the gym or not, but getting some exercise in is def. better than just sitting and watching tv. even if you dont like the routine, running and doing some machines, just go to one of the hour long classes. Zumba is such a fun class if you like dancing and it makes you think that youre just having fun and not so much exercise but its really a great workout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. turkish food

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article. turkish food

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found Hubwit as a transparent s ite, a social hub which is a conglomerate of Buyers and Sellers who are ready to offer online digital consultancy at decent cost. crocs on sale

    ReplyDelete